As you know, I'm always ready for an adventure. Well, here is the
latest one - a trip to Washington, D.C. for President Obama's Second Inauguration.
I went with my two youngest daughters, their aunt and one of her friends.
My girls often travel with their aunt Lisa, their dad's sister, but this was my
first trip. (Little background: their dad and I were once married but have
been divorced for over ten years.) The drive there was uneventful and we
reached our hotel room late Monday evening. We ordered delivery and
prepared for the big day ahead of us.
Tuesday morning, I awoke with a sense of urgency but didn't feel that all
the members of my traveling party were experiencing the same. I had
showered the night before, so my preparations were quick. (Something that
is very important when you have 5 people sharing one bathroom.) I started
with my layers: tights and turtleneck shirt; lined wool pants and thick
sweater; satin bonnet and GSU blue beret. I stopped here because I still
needed to go to the lobby for breakfast. Tunde and I went for breakfast
while Lisa and Shannon made their morning preparations. Abiola was just
waking. I made sure to eat warm, filling food because I didn't know what
the day would bring and I wanted to be prepared. Even with the snail-like
movements of my child, we were dressed and out the door around 8. I know,
very late for the event we were attending. I completed my ensemble with
thick socks, quilted coat with hood, GSU blue scarf and gloves. I even
carried an extra pair of gloves in my pocket. We piled into the car and
made the quick drive from the hotel to the Metro station. After following
the confusing, winding road around construction, we made it to the parking deck
and found a space.
Until this point, the inauguration had been an event on the
television. But as soon as we hit the train station, we were in it.
People were pushing commemorative newspapers into our hands, we were trying to
get to our cash to purchase our bus passes (of course, the ones Lisa had ordered
online which were assured to be delivered before we left did not arrive on
time), and rushing down powerless escalators to catch the train. The
trains were filled with other excited people from all over the country making
their way to the National Mall to watch this great event. We talked about
our hometowns and compared the transit map to the Inauguration map to determine
the best stop for our departure. D.C. natives offered advice and
directions. We decided to get off at the L'Enfant Plaza. We thought
we'd miss the larger crowds by using a peripheral stop - well, Lisa did.
She's the only one who had been in D.C. for any period of time. Shannon
and I just smiled and nodded like foreigners who didn't know the language.
We exited the train and marveled at the number of people trying to get
through the exit gates from our stop and decided to try another gate. It was just as
crowded but it was moving and soon we were on the streets of Washington,
D.C. Oh my! There were so many people. There was electricity
in the air and everyone was just happy to be there. There was a little
tension because you didn't want to be separated from your group but not in a
bad way. Right at the train station exit, there were vendors hawking
their wares: bags, t-shirts, buttons, calendars, any and everything that could
have President Obama's image put on it was for sale. Some were cute, some were
sad, some just made me shake my head. We opted to wait to make the
majority of our purchases on the way back. First, the prices would go
down for some items once the event was over. Second, we'd have a better
idea which items we wanted after we had seen a better selection and also know
the best price. But there must have been a meeting or something because
all of the prices were pretty consistent for similar items. And three,
and probably most important, we wouldn't have to carry these items all day
long. Shannon bought a bag to hold the newspapers that had been thrust
upon us at the train station. That's probably the only reason we still
have them. (Thanks, Shannon!) L'Enfant Plaza was probably the last
time we moved freely until we reached the National Mall. We joined the
throngs of people and were herded like cattle from one spot to the other.
We had hoped to enter the Mall on the 7th but that street was closed off and we
were told that we would have to enter the Mall on 12th. We pushed on with
the other cattle, unable to see more than the head of the person in front of us
until we reached 12th Street. Most people moved along quietly, making
small talk with the people around them and checking to make sure their groups
were still intact. The adults in my group were all wearing very bright
and/or unique hats and we stayed close together. I held Abiola's arm. The
only scary moment came just as we reached the gates to the Mall. Someone
shouted that they were going to close the gates and people started
pushing. I felt like I was on an incline and sliding downhill. I
suddenly felt I knew how stampedes started. I could feel the pressure
against my body as I held my child's arm, tried to keep from being crushed and made my way through the
gate. It only lasted a few seconds but it left a lasting impression.
Once through the gate, we could move freely again. We wandered around to
find a good spot to watch the Inaugural Ceremony, looked for the volunteers
passing out American flags and finally decided on a spot near the back of the Mall where
we could clearly see the monitors. This
was the best we could hope to do since we didn’t get to the Mall until nearly
11.
My child held up her “Free Hugs” sign and started to give out the first of
many hugs on the Mall. One of her bucket
list items was to have a “Free Hugs” sign and display it. The hugs were just a bonus. Once she mentioned it, her aunt knew she
wouldn’t have a better opportunity than this.
We flew into action and within 10 minutes she was ready to check off one
of her bucket list items. This turned
out to be a perfect spot.
And then it started… the music, the pomp, the circumstance, the
flag-waving. I didn’t know I’d be so
excited. We heard the performers sing
and watched the swearing-in ceremonies.
And then he started to speak.
President Barack Obama was delivering his Inaugural Address. I was there on the National Mall with the
President of the United States of America.
Sure there were nearly a million other people there with me, but I was
there. I wasn’t watching it on TV in my
living room or on the computer in my office.
I was out there, feeling the same sun on my face that he felt, the same
breeze, hearing him speak without delay or buffering. I didn’t have to think about losing the signal
or a power surge or any mechanical malfunction.
I WAS THERE!
No comments:
Post a Comment